“10 Important Things to Consider Before Designing a New Kitchen”
Here are 10 important guidelines for your kitchen design project.
1. For efficiency, the work triangle (the space between the sink, refrigerator, and stove) should measure 26 or less with no single side longer than 9, or less than 4.
2. In kitchens smaller than 150 sq. ft., opt for at least 13 of base cabinets, 12 of wall cabinets, and 11 of countertop. In kitchens which are larger, go with at least 16 of base cabinets, 15 1/2 of wall cabinets, and 16 1/2 of countertop.
3. For convenience, plan work aisles to be at least 42 wide for one cook, and at least 48 wide in multi-cook kitchens.
4. Specify a minimum of 24 of counter space on one side of the sink and at least 18 on the other.
5. To create the most accessible landing for unloading groceries, allow at least 15 of counter space on the handle side of a standard refrigerator; on both sides if its a side-by-side model. Or include a landing area directly across from the refrigerator, but no more than 48 away.
6. For cleanup ease, install the dishwasher within 36 of one edge of the sink and allow for at...