You’ve researched the perfect car to buy and the perfect time to buy it. But have you checked your credit report and credit score? A quick review of your credit report online before you visit dealerships can save you both time and money when you are ready to make your deal.
1. Give that credit report a tune-up.
Check your credit report early in the process to avoid embarrassing or costly episodes at the loan desk.
• Get the facts first. Having your 3-in-1 credit report from TransUnion’s TrueCredit.com before you shop for a vehicle allows you to compare and review your financial information from each of the three credit bureaus: TransUnion, Equifax and Experian.
• Check the accuracy of your 3-in-1 report. If you find any mistakes, report them immediately.
• Are your credit card balances high? Reducing these or paying off small debts can sometimes boost your credit score and save you money on a loan.
• A few months of prompt bill payments can improve the way lenders view you.
2. Don’t overextend yourself.
Brand new sports car vs. used and practical? Before you decide which car...