Secretarial and administrative staff can only develop and add value to the business for the future, if their peers, the organization’s culture and their immediate managers create the right opportunities for them to do so. So here are the top ten tips for Managers:
1. Talk to them! By involving, including, empowering and trusting your secretary, she will become more proactive and motivated.
2. Share your expertise and knowledge. This way she will have a greater understanding of your work, your pressures and your objectives, and so be able to contribute more to the team.
3. Ask for her thoughts on the working practices that just aren’t working efficiently: her experience and knowledge will probably save you hours of your valuable time.
4. Introduce her to your clients and colleagues. The more they are known and seen to be part of your team, the fewer routine requests and tasks you will have to handle.
6. Don’t ask people to contact “your secretary” in correspondence. Use their full name! This will build relationships and trust – with your clients and with your secretary.
5. Consider your work...