The Pros of Home Equity Loans
1. The advantage with a home equity loan is the ability to use the loan amount any way you want, such as funding emergency, paying off debt, college, a vacation, or home renovation.
2. Interest rates for a home equity loan tend to be lower than credit card rates or consumer loans. Another advantage associated with home equity loan interest rates is that it is tax deductible up to the equity value in your home or up to $100,000 – whichever is less. (note – the tax-deductible portion is based on a percentage)
3. Home equity loans are also quite flexible, in the sense that it allows you to choose when to use the money, and you may be able to decide when to repay the principal.
The Cons of Home Equity Loans
1. You may risk losing your home with a home equity loan if you cant repay or refinance the loan, since your home is the collateral for the home equity loan, similar to an additional mortgage on your home. Foreclosure can happen within 60 to 90 days of late/missed payments.
2. For people experiencing career changes, home equity loan can also been an advantage, putting your home at risk. If the...