How would a prospective buyer view your home? That’s the first thing you should ask yourself before putting your home on the market.
A few small changes can make a big difference.
• Is it cluttered? Remove photographs and small items from tabletops; put away kitchen appliances and other items on countertops and tables; organize closets and cabinets; and remove furniture so rooms look bigger.
• Does your yard look messy? Neaten up the lawn and clean drain gutters.
•Is your home welcoming? Make your front entry attractive by painting the door; hanging a wreath; installing outdoor lighting to make your home attractive in the evening; and sweeping the driveway.
• Does your home smell good? When prospective buyers come to call, bake bread or simmer some vanilla or cinnamon-scented water on the stove.
• Does your home look dark? Take down heavy drapes and let the sun shine in.
• Does your home look appealing? Buy some live plants and paint dingy walls. Preparing your home for viewing may result in a better price and faster turnover.
Most importantly, homeowners should clean everything...